Sunday, December 29, 2013

Last Minute Read-A-Thon: Remembering 2013


The challenge for today is to answer the following questions about the books I've read in 2013.

Best Book of 2013
This is a tough one, as I've read quite a few excellent books this year, but I'm going to go with The Dance (The Restoration Series #1) by Dan Walsh and Gary Smalley. This book completely wowed me.

My review for The Dance can be found HERE.


Worst Book of 2013
This is super easy for me to decide. The worst book I've read this year was You Are Not So Smart by David McRaney. A lot of people seemed to love the book, but I just couldn't stand it. I found it to be very annoying and condescending.

My review for You Are Not So Smart can be found HERE.


Favorite New Author
This one is exceptionally tough, I've read over 100 new-to-me authors, so I'm going to list six of my favorites (alphabetically) along with the first book I read by them. 


Sandra Byrd (REVIEW), Jessica Dotta (REVIEW), 


Cara Lynn James (No review), Krista McGee (REVIEW), 


Serena B. Miller (REVIEW), and Kiersten White (REVIEW).


Book that surprised you
The book that surprised me the most, because I actually loved it, was Perfectly Matched (The Blue Willow Brides #3) by Maggie Brendan. I had read the first two books in the series, the first was okay but the second was terrible, and I wasn't expecting much at all with this one. I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I loved reading Perfectly Matched.

My review of Perfectly Matched can be found HERE.


Book that disappointed you
The most disappointing book I've read would have to be Afloat by Erin Healy. I had read the books she wrote with Ted Dekker and very much enjoyed them, so I was expecting to enjoy this book - I didn't. In fact, thinking back on it, I could almost say I hated it. 

My review for Afloat can be found HERE.



Blogaholic Designs”=

4 comments:

  1. Cara Lynn James and Krista McGee are awesome and I loved the one book I read of Serena B. Millers! I really want to read Perfectly Matched and even more so since you said it was so much better than the other two! I totally agree with you about Afloat! I used it for my worst book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara Lynn James and Krista McGee are wonderful authors, out of my list of six they are 2 of the 3 I've already read all but one of their books, the other is Kiersten White, and I've enjoyed them all! I really think you would enjoy Perfectly Matched, and since it looks like you enjoyed the other two a lot more than I did you might even give this one 5 stars :) Funny how that book made both our bad lists!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of your new authors list. I've seen the Mind Games before and was close to buying it. I guess I need to go back to the store and get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I zoomed right in to "You Are Not So Smart", since it's the only nonfiction book you have here. Granted, the title is not encouraging at all, to say the least. Lol. How dare this guy give his book such a title? Doesn't he care about sales? I read your review on Goodreads, and then went over to Amazon, where I read a sample of this book in the online reader they have. Well, let me tell you, I'm intrigued by what this author is saying, because he discusses the influence of the unconscious mind, and that's a subject I find fascinating! So I've put the book on my Amazon wish list, and hope to get to it sometime this year. It's just too bad he gave his book that lousy title!

    Your other books are new to me except for "Mind Games", which I've seen on other blogs. This book has a lot of rave reviews on Amazon, so I'm adding it to my wish list, as well.

    The other books sound great, especially "Born of Persuasion", "Love On A Dime" come to think of it, I do believe I have this one on my Goodreads TBR shelf), and "Under a Blackberry Moon".

    I've read the synopsis for "Afloat", and don't like it at all. It just sounds like another disaster movie, and I totally dislike disaster movies!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting, as well as for sharing these books with us! : )

    ReplyDelete