Thursday, December 29, 2011

Austenland by Shannon Hale

AustenlandJane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her life. No real man can compare.

When a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, Jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined. Decked out in empire-waist gowns, stripped of her modern appliances, Jane throws herself into mastering Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen - or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them.

It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to vanish. Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?
I GIVE THIS BOOK: 3 stars

MY THOUGHTS:
This is a genre that I love to read, but I was slightly disappointed in this book.

Jane comes across (to me at least) as very annoying. She wants to meet her Mr. Darcy, but the way she throws herself at men is shameful! She barely knows a man and she is making out with him.

The whole idea of Pembrook Park, a resort that makes you feel as though you are in the Regency era was cool. However, I didn't like the way it seemed that all of the women (except for Jane) were married. The way they flirted with the men was really distasteful.

I give this book 3 stars, because while overall I found this book to be enjoyable, there were many parts of it that I found to be dull.

View all my reviews
Blogaholic Designs”=

No comments:

Post a Comment