Friday, October 11, 2013

Deeply Devoted (The Blue Willow Brides #1) by Maggie Brendan (Review)


When Catharine Olsen leaves Holland for America as a mail-order bride, she brings along some extra baggage: two sisters, her mother's set of Blue Willow china, and a tragic past. When she arrives in Cheyenne, Wyoming, she promptly marries Peter Andersen and dreams of starting life over in this rugged land. Peter is kind and patient with Catharine and accommodating to her sisters. His mother, however, is not. When she begins a campaign to sabotage Peter's marriage, Catharine is distraught, worried that her secret past will be discovered. Will her life end up as nothing but broken pieces? Or will these trials make her stronger? 

Readers will love negotiating the clash of cultures and class as a highborn European and a Western wheat farmer learn to love one another and trust God with both the past and the future.

I GIVE THIS BOOK:3 stars

MY THOUGHTS:
I love mail-order bride novels, so when I saw Deeply Devoted I just had to read it. However, I'm so torn about what to give this book! It was one that I didn't want to put down and had to finish, but it was also so annoying at times because some of the aspects of the story were so unbelievable.

The story begins with Catharine along her sisters arriving in Wyoming from Amsterdam after six months of Catharine corresponding with Peter, her fiance. Peter had no idea that she was bringing along her two sisters, which is the start of the trust issues between them.

I loved most of the characters, even though they were a bit dull at times, so this is the reason I'm giving it a 3 star rating instead of a 2. I was strongly considering giving it a 4 star, but the negatives of the story were just too many.

For a story that takes place in the 1880's I found all the modern ideas very unbelievable. Women wearing overalls and thinking them cute. People considering a women of 18 all grownup and not needing, or allowing, anyone to tell her what to do anymore. But I think the attitudes regarding divorce were the biggest shock to me and the one I found the hardest to believe. I can't really get into detail about it, as the reason behind it is kind of a surprise, but I still had to mention it. Also the big scene at the end, which I saw coming, while very sweet was so ridiculous.

I plan on reading the next books in this series and am hoping that they will be better. If you love mail-order bride novels you'll probably want to read this one, but I would suggest borrowing it, if at all possible, first.

If you found this review helpful, will you please click yes HERE. Thanks!

BOOK DETAILS:
  • Series: The Blue Willow Brides (Book 1)
  • Paperback: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Revell (September 1, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0800734629
  • ISBN-13: 978-0800734626
  • Product Dimensions: 0.8 x 5.5 x 8.4 inches
  • Available to purchase at Amazon | B&N | CBD




Blogaholic Designs”=

No comments:

Post a Comment